Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Birth Culture

What is the birth culture that surrounds you?

I cannot say that I've thought much about the birth culture that I will pass onto my children, but since pregnancy and childbirth is a passion of mine I know it is a topic that I will discuss freely with them.

So, I was excited to run across the blog of Rachel Coleman (of Signing Time Videos) and read about her rich birth culture.

http://www.signingtime.com/rachel/2008/09/10/babies-babies-everywhere/

http://www.signingtime.com/rachel/2008/09/14/weve-got-another-one/

Also, just had to suggest a great book I read after my first homebirth, Baby Catcher. Often we hear birth stories from mothers themselves but it's wonderful to hear first-hand accounts from the real-life career of an ob nurse turned midwife. I added it to my favorites at the right. I found it again and recently re-read it. It was even better this time around. You'll be hooked!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks SO much for leaving those links! I took Bradley classes with my first pregnancy, but have yet to have a natural birth. Maybe you can help me accomplish that with my next one (hopefully next fall!). A lot of it, for me, was because of my doctor. I have since changed doctors and hospitals and look very forward to my next pregnancy. I, like you, love everything pregnancy, birth, and babies. I'm so glad we finally got to meet a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting to know you better.
~audrey

Just His Best said...

I have tons of favorite books on birth, etc. so feel free to borrow them!

Kasia said...

Kelli!
I love the Baby Catcher book! The first chapter is nothing but RIVETING! I am only halfway through it b/c I don't find much time to read these days, but I'm so glad you loaned it to me! I sneak a page or two whenever I can! Let me know if you need it back, otherwise I'm plugging away at it. Thanks for dropping it off!

Related Posts with Thumbnails