Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mmmm Good!


I promised I'd keep you updated on the bread-making front. Well as excited as I was and still am, I did have a few setbacks.

First the motor in the brand-new Nutrimill I bought was no good so it had to be sent back. Thankfully the company was great and UPS'ed me a new one pronto.

So after grinding the wheat here is what was produced in a total of 1 1/2 hours! Needless to say, I was excited and ate about 4 rolls before they cooled. Bad decision for my stomach...

I proudly produced my homemaking skills at dinner that night to which Simon replied, "It's good, but does this mean we won't be eating white bread anymore??" Uh, yeah hon. :)

That first attempt was two weeks ago and I'm now awaiting my big shipment of wheat to arrive from the local co-op. (In the meantime I've been using wheat I bought from another breadbaker to tide me over.)

So far, in addition to the bread, I've baked banana bread, peach scones, and yesterday tried my hand at homemade pitas. They came out great and the kids thought they were the perfect sandwich size and today used them to make pb&j pita pizzas for lunch.

Since it's peach season here in Georgia, here's the peach scone recipe I tried.

Peach Scones

2 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 medium peaches, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup


Directions
1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4Combine buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
5Stir into flour mixture with peaches until just combined.
6On lightly floured surface knead dough 5-6 times.
7Pat dough into 3/4" thick circle.
8Cut into 10 wedges.
9Place on a baking sheet.
10Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Yum-send some our way! I'm proud of you for this accomplishment. You set your heart on it and followed through!

Related Posts with Thumbnails