Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Get outside!

The summer months have me slowing down on blog posts. There is so much to do and not much time to write about it!

After a hectic May we're back to a more normal routine. School is back "in" for us. Mostly just review and reading, but reading always leads to questions, which leads to research, which leads to learning.

One thing I have struggled with, however, is getting the kids to stay outside for playtime. I don't send them out in the hottest part of the day and our back yard is shaded, so realistically they have no reason to not enjoy their time outside. Still, they find one excuse after another to come back inside.

"I've got to go potty."
"I need some water."
"I need to get a toy."
"I spilled my water. I need another one."
"I want to change shoes/clothes."
"What time is it?"
"Can I have something to eat?"

The list goes on and on.

This morning Jackson woke up and asked, "Mom, are we going outside again today?"

Something about that really unnerved me and I thought, "Lord, what is the heart of this?"

Immediately I was reminded that the two ways that God reveals Himself is

a) through His Word
and
b) through His creation

 To know that we can see God's handiwork and experience Him should excite us, not bore us. So, we had a great conversation about that and how our comforts in the house often distract us and keep us away from what is really important.

In perfect timing (I love when God does this!) I pulled out a list of things I found online that I've been meaning to do with the kids outside but just never got around to. I cut the activities apart, put them in the box and will let them choose one each day to complete. Of course, I am fully prepared for them to finish it in about two minutes, but hopefully this will lead them to stay out longer and longer each time. 

I'll let you know how it goes...

Here's the list I found online. Does anyone have any others to share?

My only rule for this is it cannot be anything that they are "entertained" by (i.e. Slip and Slide, swimming at the pool). Not that we don't do those as well, but it must have some component of exploration, observation, and thinking. The simpler the better. Stick and sand sort of stuff.

I'd love other ideas!!

Psalm 19:1-3 (New International Version)
1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.



2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.



3 There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.
post signature

2 comments:

Ali said...

Why are they coming in to drink...do you not have a hose??? HA!!!! Those were the good ole' days!

Kristen said...

Great post, Kelli! Hey, I keep meaning to tell you that I blog now.. sometimes! haha... herbalmidwifemama.blogspot.com - follow me! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails