Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 7 of P.T. - Potty Training that is

I haven't written about the other six days, probably because I'd rather forget them. Let's just say that potty training is not my favorite part of parenting. I typically start with gusto and encouraging words and then wind up angry and shouting.

I knew Bennett was ready, but decided to not try until we got back from Northern Ireland. Since we were home after the trip getting settled back in I took advantage and dove in last week.

Days one and two were wonderful. Yes, accidents did happen but Bennett was willing to sit on the potty and seemed to enjoy the novelty of it all.

Then day three came.

This was this day he wanted to know if I was bluffing or not. Was I going to turn back or give in? How in the world they know to test us like this is amazing. You can't tell me that the heart is nothing but sinful and wicked! He peed and pooped everywhere but on the toilet, and not only at my house, but at my parent's house that night as well.

Day four I showed him I meant business for sure and we got a trash bag and I let him say goodbye to all his diapers and wipes as he threw them away. At this stage, he would pee on the potty but held his poop for two days. I tried incentives too. He loves lollipops so I'd give him one after a successful trip to the potty. However, this only lasted until day 5 and he didn't seem to care whether or not he ever saw another lollipop again or not.

Day six we had a few more accidents and finally, (today) on day seven, he has gone the ENTIRE day with not ONE single accident and woke up dry from both overnight and his nap.Yippee!

Yes, I know more accidents are to come, but to think that I have almost three potty trained children under my belt makes me feel more accomplished as a mom than even teaching Jackson to read did. Sad, I know, but true!!!!

Notice my chipper voice in the video. If only I was this encouraging the entire time. Yes, indeed, the heart is so wicked and sinful!!!




3 comments:

Sara said...

Write me an email with tips! We're just beginning the journey. We've begun by just sitting on it occasionally and randomly to get used to it, but I'm really not sure where to go from here... and I'm scared to start in earnest.

Ashley said...

Yeah...ummm....we're there too. Not fun at all! We've actually initiated Sam and Susan's help and that works. Hope he's done soon!

Ali said...

HOORAY!!! 3 down, 1 to go!!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails