Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Time to Clean Out & Pray Hard

In an effort to avoid doing much-needed housework, I thought I'd clean out my purse. I cannot believe the assortment of things I've collected in about a month's time. Aside from the normal receipts, coupons, grocery lists, pens, hairclips, makeup, checkbook and wallet there was:



  • a bag of pistachios
  • peanut butter from breakfast bar at hotel

  • granola from a McDonalds parfait

  • Haviland's pet rock

  • airplane rocket gun
  • toy skeleton

  • used ink cartridges

  • Empty Arms- book on miscarriage and loss

  • Prayer guide for the election

And last but not least...




  • A copy of the Declaration of Independence and US Constitution

Odd maybe, but then again, in these times it is good to remind myself in the midst of this ridiculous upcoming election of my rights as an American citizen and the privilege it is to live here. I think it will go back into my purse.


Having said that, this morning's devotion with the kids was good and I love how it applies to our upcoming election. We were talking about King David as he was about to hand over responsibilities to his son, Solomon. David had wanted to build a temple for the ark of the covenant, but since he had blood on his hands God would not allow it.


As David stands before his people and advisors, he gives these words to Solomon-


As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever. 1 Chronicles 28:9



Father, may our next leader, whether Republican, Democrat, black, or white serve you with a loyal heart and a willing mind. The temptation for pride and arrogance must be overwhelming at this stage for our candidates. Help them to understand that You are not judging their outward promises, but that You are judging their hearts' intents. Help them to serve and not self-serve. Help them to stand for what is right in Your eyes, not for what our greedy hearts believe we deserve or desire. You alone are sovereign and I praise you that your will WILL be done in spite of the mess we tend to make of everything.
Amen.

1 comment:

bigsis said...

i totally agree. i somewhat watched the last debate last night and it totally made me sick at my stomach because of the arrogance that was on there. it makes me not to vote. but if i don't then i can't complain when things go bad. i am praying that God will give us the best person. He already knows and i just hope, like you said that their hearts are in the right place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails