Thursday, January 21, 2010

Indulge me - Part 2

I thought I'd compare my alma mater's Statement of Purpose with our state's largest University, UGA. Here is a portion of their educational mission:

With its statewide mission and core characteristics, UGA endeavors to prepare the university community and the state for full participation in the global society of the twenty- first century. Through its programs and practices, it seeks to foster the understanding of and respect for cultural differences necessary for an enlightened and educated citizenry. It further provides for cultural, ethnic, gender and racial diversity in the faculty, staff and student body. The university is committed to preparing the university community to appreciate the critical importance of a quality environment to an interdependent global society.

Now, does this offend me or surprise me at all? No, not in the least. I know it is a secular institution and I have no problem with that. Of course, since I believe the whole goal of any type of education should glorify God and not man I don't agree with it, but that's another issue.

So, I'm trying to understand the root of my sadness and disappointment when I think about my alma mater.

I have never been under the illusion that it was a college with a Christian worldview. I knew that the first semester I attended. I do wonder however, why they are still "voluntarily" associated with a church. If their basic mission is not to glorify God, but to enlighten man I really don't understand why it needs the ties to the church. Of course, I do know they receive funding from the PC USA (which by the way, is completely different from PCA) so is it really the case here that it's the money talking?

Still pondering many thoughts about this...



post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails