Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Birth Junkie




Man, I'm on a birth high. Yesterday, I had the joy and privilege to attend the birth of a friend's second child and it was amazing!

I had never attended anyone else's birth, so I didn't know quite what to expect. Would I cringe if she was in pain? Would I want to "do" something to make it all better?

Nope. It was beautiful watching her work through the pushing stage. The lights were dimmed, she was in what I call an optimal pushing position (not on her back) and since she had no pain medication there was no need for anyone to tell her to "purple push" (push until her face turned blue)- she knew just what to do and when. The room was completely silent. The only sounds in the room were the occasional whispers of the attending midwife.

And then... the sweet, sweet sound of a newborn's first cry. I'm teary eyed just thinking about it.

Oh, if everyone could see a birth like this!! Labor and pain are not to be feared. I cannot wait to hear my friend's version of her birth story. She gave me such a gift to be able to witness such a wonder from that end- figuratively and literally. :)



Your works are wonderful Lord! You are greatly to be praised!!!


3 comments:

Kelli said...

Congrats to your friend!! But man I must say that when I saw the picture I thought for a second you had your baby!!!! I can't wait to read about it!!

Sara said...

yea! I think that's so good for doctors and nurses to see too, don't you?

Just His Best said...

Yes! The nurses were great & they were all saying how amazing she was. However, no doctors got to witness it. I should have roamed the halls until I found some and pulled them in! I'm sure Gifton wouldn't have minded! Ha!

It was just so beautiful!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails