Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Thoughts

Last night we went to the Maundy Thursday service at church which was wonderful. So often as a Christian, I've gone straight from celebrating Jesus' arrival into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday to His joyous Resurrection on Easter Sunday. How much more powerful it is to slow down and reflect on the events in between - the Last Supper, Jesus' time spent in prayer in the garden of Gethsemene and his betrayal and arrest.

We sang this song at Communion - "How Deep the Father's Love for Us". How deep indeed.

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyone all measure.
That He should give His only Son
to make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss;
the Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross,
my sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there
until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life;
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything:
no gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ:
His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my hear:
His wounds have paid my ransom.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails